Friday, October 28, 2011

Countdown Malaysia Part II

My Father-in-law is so great!!!  He kindly gave some explanations to some things I brought up in my last post that I couldn't remember the names of.

He says....

This is a cool blog (naturally) and we enjoyed reading all the happenings with the Chan family. The name of the restaurant is called Summer Palace where we had our dinner.
The special dish we had is called "Loh Sang" in Cantonese dialect and it is only available during the Chinese New Year period. The significance of this dish is for those people who are tossing and mixing the many ingredients is to bring good health, good luck and prosperity. We are looking forward to the homecoming of the Man, the Lady and the New Kid in Town!!!See you all soon!Love Grandpa & Grandma


Loh Sang is REALLY REALLY good by the way.  (And I'm pretty sure it's healthy.  Bonus!).  Generally I don't like ginger, but this was fantastic!  

(I have a video.  It's really cool.  I'm still trying to figure out how to upload it without taking and eternity).

Maybe it's because we tossed our food around.  Who doesn't like to play with their food?   Visiting Malaysia during the Chinese New Year has got to be one of the best times to go.


Watching this video again has made me all nostalgic.  I miss these people!  And I had such a good time with all of them.  


And I may even be brave enough to try this:



Three guesses as to what it is.  



And then there's Roti Canai (not sure if that's spelled right).  My favorite.  Most likely because it was a bread product.  



It's like a sweet tortilla, but hardier.  And there's some dishes you dip it with.  The one I liked the best was some kind of potato-soupy/saucy stuff.  Yum!  The other dipping choices were, as I was warned, beyond my spice-tolerance level.  Bummer.  They looked good.  

Actually, if you want to get technical, there were/are two types of roti.  One made flat and plain like I had and one that is cooked with an egg in it.  (Brian, the one with the orange shirt, had that one...it also looked yummy).

Being American and brainwashed, it was interesting to see that in Malaysia, there's really no such thing as 'breakfast'.  Or even desserts.  They have these colorful tapioca type 'cake' squares that they get as 'treats' but those weren't all that great.  Again.  American.  If there's not a pound of sugar in it then it's not a dessert.

This was dinner one evening.  Very good.  LOTS of food.  I was a little intimidated by the shrimp.  I'm used to my meat not looking like it did two seconds before it died.  I'm not brave!!  Anyway.  I thought this place was an interesting venue.  We drove around a residential area to get to it.  It looked like an open car-port area with tables and chairs with Ma and Pa cooking in the back.  So cool!





Tootles!

1 comment:

  1. I think you might just be ready for the real good stuff :)

    ReplyDelete